26 September 2023

Online rain apps to have fewer clouds

Start the conversation

Understanding rain forecasts will soon become easier with the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) releasing an update to its popular BOM Weather app.

Announcing the update, the Bureau said millions of Australians relied on the weather app for information that in many cases was critical to their daily lives.

“The daily rainfall forecast is one of the most viewed parts of the Bureau’s forecasts,” BOM said.

“However, customer feedback shows this information is often misinterpreted,” it said.

“Australians using the app will see how much rainfall is expected each day in millimetres.”

The Bureau said that when rainfall was likely, the app would show the amount of rainfall as a range, with ‘Rain today’ displayed.

BOM said that when rainfall was unlikely, the app would simply display ‘No rain’.

“The rainfall range has also been broadened, with the first amount representing a 75 per cent chance of rain, and the second representing a 25 per cent chance,” it said.

“These changes will equip all Australians, including farmers, event planners and tourism operators, with the rainfall information they need to make informed decisions.”

The Bureau said the change would mean customers could be confident in their understanding of the amount of rain expected in their location.

It said people could learn more about the BOM Weather app rainfall update through its YouTube channel.

BOM’s 53-second video on the app update can be accessed, with sound, at this PS News link.

Start the conversation

Be among the first to get all the Public Sector and Defence news and views that matter.

Subscribe now and receive the latest news, delivered free to your inbox.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.