Building and Energy has launched a campaign targeting carbon monoxide hazards in the home.
Director of Energy Safety, Saj Abdoolakhan said the Agency wanted people to stay safe and warm over winter by having their gas heaters serviced and being aware of carbon monoxide risks.
“Our campaign emphasises the importance of regular servicing of gas appliances, which is recommended at least every two years, or annually if the equipment is more than 10 years old,” Mr Abdoolakhan said.
“Faulty, poorly-maintained or misused gas heaters could cause a build-up of potentially lethal carbon monoxide gas.”
He said at least five deaths in Australia in the past decade had been linked to carbon monoxide, which was known as the ‘silent killer’ because it was invisible, odourless and tasteless, “so you may be unaware of the effects until it’s too late”.
“This campaign features the ticking sound that many gas heaters make when they start up and asks, ‘is your heater trying to tell you something?’,” Mr Abdoolakhan said.
“We hope this prompts people to think about when their gas heater was last serviced,” he said.
“They should contact a licensed gas fitter if it has been more than two years since the last service or if the heater is showing signs such as discolouration or difficulty relighting.”
Mr Abdoolakhan said a licensed gas fitter could check appliances for issues such as blockages, overheating or burner problems that could produce carbon monoxide and they could also look at whether a room had adequate ventilation.
The campaign will run until mid-September and more information can be accessed at this PS News link.