Regular classroom learning is to return for all State school students next Monday (25 May).
The Department of Education announced that students in Years 2-to-10 will join their schoolmates in Kindy, Prep, Year 1 and Years 11 and 12, who returned to school on 11 May following three weeks of home-based learning.
Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk said this would be the latest step made possible by the low transmission rates Queensland has experienced.
“Our decision to adopt a sensible and deliberate approach with this phased return has proven to be the right one as we progressively move to relaxing the range of COVID-19 restrictions in place across the State,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“Queenslanders are continuing to do the right thing by each other, and I am so proud of Queensland’s response to slowing the spread of COVID-19 — it truly is world class.”
Minister for Education, Grace Grace said the updated arrangements for the remainder of Term 2 had been made in accordance with advice from Queensland’s Chief Health Officer and the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee.
“We moved quickly to a learning-at-home model when the health advice directed us to do so and it has worked incredibly well in providing students with lessons and activities in the home,” Ms Grace said.
“Of course, we know that nothing can match that face-to-face learning children get in the classroom.”
Ms Grace said students with health support needs would continue to be supported and directed by their teachers while they learned from home.